Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Book of Shadows, Grimoire, and Divination Journal

Every witch, Wiccan or. not, has a Book of Shadows where they record everything. If you are me, then you have a binder with all the hard information (charts, legends, etc.) in it and then basically a Grimoire where I keep all my rituals I designed, all spells I cast (whether I wrote them or not but if I didn't I credit who did), recipes, and other how-to stuff. I also keep a dream and divination journal. So that is 3 books. Organization is very important. A lot of people keep it all on the computer or type and print it all out. But my computer is very tempermental so I hand write everything out (besides I feel it gives it a little oompf).

The Book of Shadows

Title page with your name on it. Make it pretty and interesting.
Have a copy your dedication ritual and date in there (Some people put it after the Table of Contents, I put it before. I also have this copied into all 3 of my books.)
Table of Contents (You will want to know where stuff is.)
Laws
Legends of the Goddess and God
Tools and Symbols (I keep mine in my Grimoire)
Runes (I keep this also in my Grimiore)
Correspondence tables and other data.(Moon phases, herbs (their properties, history of use, magical usage), Stones and Crystals, Colors, Incenses, etc.)

Grimoire

Title Page
Dedication Ritual
Table of Contents
Laws
Tools and Symbols (This can go in the BoS instead)
Runes (can also go in BoS)
Copy of the layout of your altar
Ritual Bath
Creating Sacred Space
How to Cast a circle
Esbat Ritual
Sabbat Rituals
Spells and Recipes (leave room to record the turn out)

Dream and Divination Journal

This is just where I record my dreams daily and my results from scrying. It is no less important though. I go back and highlight things after they happen. I do still have a copy of my dedication and a pretty Title Page.

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to explain these items! My son asked me the other day how to make a BOS and what should go into it... And I think I scared him by listing off a bunch of items. Thanks for helping me out!

    ReplyDelete