Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Altar Hidden in Plain Sight

When you are a teenager or in college living with intolerant people it can be hard, I know first hand. After my  mother converted with my step dad I had to learn how to hide my witch stuff. I was keeping it in a box until I  read this idea in a great book (Teen Witch by Silver Ravenwolf) by an amazing author. The altar hidden in plain site. You could have representative objects for the elements. It is ingenious. From then on until I moved   I had representations. Feathers in the East, kaleidoscope in the South, A water bottle filled with pure water in the west, an egg filled with fake flowers I had been given the year before for Easter (I also added rocks into it), and in the center was this musical merry-go-round with a maypole as the base. I kept it all on my bookshelf and because it just looked like a random collection of items. Only I knew what it really was. Here is a list of things you could use with a few pictures of one I created as an example and if you have more ideas, definately comment.


Air

Feathers
Chimes
Dreamcatcher with feathers on it
A drawing of anything air related.

Fire

Kaleidoscope
Flashlight
Lamp
Any source of light
Hand warmers (Those things you rub together)
A drawing of anything fire related

Water

A water bottle
Shells
Picture of the sea
A drawing of anything water related

Earth

Garden gnome
Fake or real flower display
a canister filled with rocks (tell them you are starting a collection)
A drawing of anything Earth related.

Representing The Goddess and God

A maypole with a merry-go-round on it
A statue of a woman and a man
A statue of a woman
Barbie and ken dolls
A drawing of the Goddess and God





 This is an example of a bedside altar. I did not have my kaleidoscope to recreate the one I used to have. I used my favorite lamp. The picture used to stand up but the frame broke, and the feathers were at the base of it.

You can pretty much use anything. I love it also because it brings a personal touch to the altar. When I say drawing I really mean any artwork. I love to paint. You can keep these anywhere. If you set it up right and use a lamp, it would make a neat bedside table. Its all about creativity. Just remember, dedication has its rewards in the end.
I also seriously suggest doing the following by PagansPathway. Sheldon is an excellent writer and a good friend of mine. He knows what he is talking about and if you are doing a inconspicuous altar, it will need protection, so, I highly recommend taking the extra time to do this one. Pagans Pathway Altar Protection
If you are viewing this then you are most likely in the broom closet and if you did not know I did start a on youtube called the Broom Closet Diaries. Please check it out.
May the Goddess and God guide you in love and light. Blessed be.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, I do so love this page and site. I am an HP, was Solitary since age 12 (accept from 1989-1993 than 2012 - now), and I love to teach. I often teach my "Coven"/ "Students" the way you do here. It is refreshing to see someone else doing so from basics on up ;) Thank you!!!! Crystal

    ReplyDelete